Saturday, April 14, 2012

Old Dog Learns New Tricks: Surf Edition


The road that got me to this beach and my first surfing experience was a tortuous one... I was supposed to get off the bus that took me into El Salvador in a quaint little town called Santa Ana. But following a communication breakdown with the bus driver, it failed to stop in said quaint little town and I got dropped off instead in a rather nasty suburb of the capital San Salvador. With absolutely no backup plan...

Let´s just say that San Salvador didn´t exactly live up to its name... Crowded, exceedingly polluted, hot, dirty... I´m convinced the inner circles of hell are more pleasant. And probably safer... Anyway, after a night in a particularly horrendous hotel room (basically sublet to me by a family of cokcroaches), it was clear I needed to make a swift exit.

The sanest and closest option seemed to be El Salvador´s main surfing spot: El Tunco. Yes, that´s right people, I went surfing for the first time! And on a black sand beach no less...


That´s me surfing!!

Kidding... one of the local kids.....


The obvious pet to bring to the beach really...

Local headcount was 50% locals on vacation and 50% gringo surfers trying very hard to look cool. Snake guy is a local in case you´re wondering...


Surfing report: I managed to stand up on the board and surf a small white wave to the end! This definitely felt like snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. Or at least from the cockroaches of  my San Salvadorean hotel room...

1 comment:

  1. me encantan tus fotos !!! y me encanta tambien la forma de presentarlas, con tus observaciones llenas de humor !!!!
    maria

    ReplyDelete