Sunday, May 13, 2012

Even Bigger City

Bogota is HUGE. Around 8 or 9 million people spread out as far as the eye can see...

My first two nights in Bogota, I tried couchsurfing for the first time (basically, you get in touch with someone you think you might get along with and if the feeling is mutual, they let you sleep on their couch/guest bedroom as a kind of cultural exchange. More about the concept in this New Yorker article). Camilo (below) was kind enough to host me for 2 nights in his very cool and central apartment right in the old district of Candelaria.

It was really cool to hang out for a couple of days, for example C. and his friends invited me along to a friend´s house party on the first night! See you in New York soon man!



The two cats in the apartment eventually warmed up to me: Noah, below, very cute but a little devil. A bit like the kitten in Garfield actually. 

And Bertram, giving my backpack an inspection...

Great view from the apartment onto Monsterrat, the moutain top dominating Bogota.


Other view onto Montserrat

Now  the view from Montserrat...


Self-portrait in blinding sun...




I was there for May 1st, which means big labor demonstrations....



View of the Candelaria (old Bogota)

Some funny street names.

Dog face street

Ghost street

Bogota is a very cool and fun city. Loads of great bars, restaurants, museums... I ended up spending a whole week there! Next stop is the rural coffee region for a total contrast...

No comments:

Post a Comment